Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
"No I didn't give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you!"

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

We are in Almaty Safe & Sound









Grandma, Aunt Becky, Zahri & I are officially in Almaty safe and sound! I am sorry that I haven’t blogged as of yet, but it has been quite hectic since arriving. Marina, our Almaty coordinator, really hooked us up here in Almaty. Our apartment is about 2 blocks from the Kazakhstan Hotel, the tallest building in Almaty, which is a really nice location. And the apartment itself is a 2 bedroom, with a living room and is totally spectacular. Inside is filled with true hardwood floors, beautiful furnishings, an updated Kitchen with new appliances, including a microwave. There is also a washing machine here. Some total perks are the non-smelling lavatory room (with a toilet that doesn’t constantly run), outlets that are connected to the wall, a doorbell (sounds strange but I missed Bayana several times at my last apartment because I couldn’t hear her knock through the 2 doors), clean beds with fluffy blankets and real pillows, sink stoppers in all sinks and the shower and a clean tub. We are so comfortable here, and it turned out to be quite a bit more reasonable than staying at a hotel. The outside of the building is a typical Soviet style old concrete building, the hallways seem spooky and cold because they are all concrete and old metal railings, but once you get inside the apartment you are totally at home!

Z was a rock star on the trip, she is such a trooper. As long as I am there, she is okay. On the plane, she didn’t even cry. She got antsy and a bit winy, but never a cry or a scream. My fear was having that screaming child that you couldn’t calm, that nerved out all of your poor neighboring passengers, but I again was blessed. It was so wonderful, at the Aqtobe airport, Bayan totally took care of checking in my luggage, getting me a bag of chips and tea, and staying with us until we boarded. Bayan even asked the man ahead of me in line to please carry my carry on onto the plane for me, and he kindly helped out, both getting on to the plane and getting off the plane in Almaty. Many times, between getting on the plane in Aqtobe and arriving at my apartment, we were helped by people letting us go first, cut in line, carrying our bags, etc. It was so nice! In the Aqtobe airport, I was so thankful that we were befriended by other passengers, in fact several people smiled at Z and I. We were blowing bubbles in the airport, singing songs, and such and other people really responded in kind which was so nice. You just don’t know here how you will be taken sometimes.

Backtrack a bit; here are a couple photos of Z playing with herself in the mirror at our first apartment in Aqtobe. It was so darn cute! She also found a 5 Liter water jug to play with, cute photos!




Zahri already adores Grandma and Auntie Becky!!! She puts out her arms for them to hold her, she has wined when they left the room, she peek-a-boos with them, she really loves their company! You should see all of the gifts they brought Z, she is in heaven! Auntie Becky brought the sweetest powder blue and green snow suit and hat, and she made the most wonderful blanket that matches her snowsuit and it has her name embroidered on it! I love it! Needless to say it has come in super handy outside already. Auntie Becky, well actually Uncle Dan, bought her a sweet bib and burp cloth with her name embroidered on them too; these will only be used for special occasions when orange spit up shouldn’t be involved. Grandma brought several texture books (that Grandpa picked out for us), a bright yellow duck toy and the best stuffed puppy that you can either heat up his belly or freeze it to help sooth your baby. And then John picked us up the most perfect Halo Sleep Sack, and because our room in the apartment is pretty chilly, it has been perfect for Z to sleep in. Thank you Ms. Marla for packing up all of Zahri’s clothes, burp cloths, bibs, gifts for the caregivers, onsie shopping for us, etc. We are so happy to have everything here with us!




Zahri is doing just awesome! She is such a trooper! The car ride in Almaty was quite interesting, holy cow, be careful and hold on is my advice! Yikes! Much crazier than driving in Aqtobe that is for sure. The majority of the drivers here are men, very few women drive, and about 1/3 of the cars here have the steering wheels on the right side of the car; Kate, one of my Almaty translators (whom we love so much, she is so fun and spunky), said that the cars they buy from Japan with the steering wheel on the right are about ½ the price. Hmmm interesting, but in about 10 years Kaz will ban all cars shipped in that are not set up for left side drivers. Big change!

Mom and Becky are such troopers too. I know that they are so pooped, traveling ½ way around the world takes a lot out of a person, and the jet lag sinks in and your body is so crazy. They are totally loving on Z, helping me dress, undress, feed, and hold, love on her, etc. Man are babies a lot of work! Haha Just getting them dressed in their winter gear is a monumental task. The extra hands and love are so nice right now, and Z is really eating them up!


Today, we were all going to go out to breakfast and I needed to put Z down for a quick nap, usually she only sleeps for about 20 minutes. When I came back out of her room, mom and Beck were cuddled up in the blanket on the Living Room floor sound asleep. So cute hu! They were pooped! Needless to say, we didn’t eat anything today until about 1:00. Ugh! Of course Z was taken care of, but us big girls were a bit starving. At breakfast a couple ladies commented on how beautiful Zahri was, I was quite proud! She is beautiful!

Tonight Zahri is having quite a trying night of sleep, I have noticed in the past couple nights that she is a crazy sleeper and tends to sweat and have what seems to unsettling sleep, but tonight I think she is having real night terrors. Tonight she has woken up twice already (in 4 hours) screaming and crying, I speed in to hold her and comfort her, and within about 3 minutes she is calm and back to sleep. The first time I came in she was up on her hands staring at the wall crying and the second time she was still lying there sleeping crying really hard. The second time I picked her up and reassured her that I was there, I am not leaving, I am your mommy now and will never leave you and twice she pushed herself back from my chest to look at me to be sure I was me (at least that is what I think her intentions were.) My heart breaks just wondering what is going on in that little mind of hers. Today was a big day, as was yesterday, we did a bit of shopping at the Zoom Mall and then went grocery shopping (remember how I mentioned how terribly stressful grocery shopping is, yes it is still horrible here in Almaty.) With all of the people, new sights, and such, I wonder if it stirred up fears in her little changing world.

Here is Z’s piggy bank. I love it! She was born last year, in the year of the pig, so I thought it would be fun to buy a piggy bank in Kazakhstan for her tenge. Cute hu!







This is the best toy in world, you must pick (pardon the pun) one up! This is not only a handy dandy boogie sucker, but it is also a wonderful chew toy (when clean of course), a toy that blows cool air on a hot baby (again when clean of course), a fun toy to hit on the floor, an easy toy for a baby to squeeze, a great size for little hands, and one of the most popular choices for Z to play with. It travels well too and doesn’t take up much space. Several uses here! A must buy!

Lastly, I wanted to share a photo of the clothes that I brought for me for my 2 month stay here in Kazakhstan. Crazy! If you know me personally, this should be quite comical. Yes, this means that I wore the same things every couple days. Who says that a girl needs a walk-in closet all to herself filled with just her winter clothes? Ummmmmmm ME! Hehe The 2 fingers I am holding up are to show you that this small pile of clothes is for an entire 2 month stay here in Kaz

18 comments:

Tasha Kent said...

Wow. What an adventure!!

By the way, are you traveling with the walker thingy?

Sandi said...

Whaa hoo.. I love the update, and girl that is one small pile of clothes, I hope I can be 1/2 as good :)

THrilled to see mom/auntie are there.

COUNTDOWN TO HOME
Sandi

Liz said...

I can't believe that you only brought a couple articals of clothing! When you get home are you going to put thoes clothes away for a very long time! I am so glad that your mom and Becky made it safley to you all. See you soon.

Jill

Stacy Peters-Walters said...

You crack me up! I am surprised about the small pile of clothes for you. Mom and I keep commenting about how resourceful you are!

I'm so glad that Z is a good traveler. It's nerve wracking to travel with infants. I've always held my breath when we traveled with Connor. I have to admit - I haven't been brave enough to take all 3 anywhere big yet!

Z might not be having nightmares. I've read, and found with Connor and Alanna, that sometimes they are restless sleepers. Connor and Alanna didn't sleep through the night until they were 18 months old. They tossed and turned and Connor especially sweats. But - they have great naps. (and we have a pretty low key life - they are very routined) Kaidan sleeps soundly through the night already. I've also noticed that the more stimulation durng the day that the kids have, the more restless they are at night. Especially if there is any stimulation within an hour of bedtime. Even now at nearly 5 and 2, if they see any TV or there is a lot of playing (even if it is low key), they are more restless. I've started limiting them to very quiet individual games and reading the hour before bed and it has made a difference.

I'm glad to hear everyone made it in. Please tell your mom and Beck hi! I'm glad they got there. Stac

Susan said...

You are so hilarious.
I haved so enjoyed following your adventure. You have such spirit and I love seeing Z and you fall in love with each other.
It really is so heartwarming and helps me become somewhat less anxious about the process.

Z IS beautiful, just like her mom.
Your apt sounds SWEET! I'm so glad you're being well taken are of.
Z is spoiled already, and that is a good thing.
i have heard of lots of kids having night terrors, and that is kids NOT ADOPTED too, i guess it's common but how sad!
you are doing a great job.
I'm glad you have family there to give you a bit of a break. Babies are a TON of work. :)

So good to hear from you, and I am beyond impressed of your tiny pile of clothes you have.
Now that we're going in the summer (most likely) It will be easier to pack lightweight clothes. :)

Diana said...

You are hilarious!

I pack the entire back end of our Expedition just for a weekend trip. I know I'm going to have to MINIMIZE big time when we travel to Kaz. Luckily I've been a camper all my life. Including some trips in the mountains where things were pretty primitive.

It's soooooo COOL your Mom met you in Kaz. How awesome for her and you.

Kelly and Sne said...

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that the trip went well - every new parent's fear. And that everybody is adjusting.. and when they are not (Z's nightmares), they look to mom for comfort. See, you don't need all of those clothes... all you need is love (sing it with me now - all you need it love!).

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Woo hoo, you are almost home! You sure did do good on the clothes too! Z is so adorable and she sounds like a real trooper. We had the same problems with Berik as far as the sleeping goes and it continued when we got home but finally went away after a month or two. Their worlds are just turned upside down and the are just having to figure it all out and she will. Keep doing what you are doing and she will come around. Gena

qmiller said...

Glad to see that the two of you made it back to Almaty and your family! How wonderful for the 4 of you to share this time.

Your packing skills are amazing---I've known many SKMs who leave those well worn clothes behind in Kaz, vowing never to wear them again!

Please tell Marina and Kate "Hello" from Madina and I! Sam, too, if you have a chance!

Quaintance

Tammy Botten said...

Hi Guys,
THanks for the update again. I love reading your blog. So great to see that Beck and your mom are there. Enjoy this time together.

Alysa said...

Glad you are all safe and comfy in Almaty. Z is a doll and does seem to be quite the trooper, along with your mom and sister. Lots for all of you to adjust to right now.

I'm stunned at the tiny pile of clothes too. So what all was in those two pretty purple suitcases? ;) I drafted my first packing list yesterday. NO WAY is it all going to fit in my suitcase and weigh under 100 lbs. Andrea is calling you my mentor. Wow, do I have a lot to learn! :)

Almost home!
Alysa

Suzanne said...

I am humbled beyond words by your packing prowess. You are my packing Guru!

I'm sure little Z's mind is just processing all the newness in her life as she's sleeping. With you by her side, she'll get though it all, I'm sure.

When do you fly home?

xoxo
Suzanne

Amy said...

Hi there! So good to read your post! You are almost done!! Almost home!!! Almost!! So good to see your family there with you and Z!

Anonymous said...

Christy that's so wonderful! The pile of clothes is AMAZING. YOu are the rock star for sure.

Shannon

Pamela said...

Yeah! Your mom and sister are with you...yippee! They must be so happy to be with you and Z. I can remember how I felt when I joined my sister and her baby in Aktobe...full of joy, and totally exhausted! ;-)

You know, my eyes filled up with tears when you wrote about Z's crying (night terrors) and how you reassured her. What a beautiful thing it is to have a mommy...Z is very blessed to have you.

Pamela

Regina said...

I'm so happy to see this update!!! Glad you are moving right along and will be bringing Z home soon. You and all your family are so beautiful!

Love the new photos. And yes, that is a tiny stock of clothing for a fashionista! You did well. ;-)

Baby Kaz Moore said...

Congratulations! So glad to hear things are going well for you all. Best wishes, Susan

Unknown said...

Glad you girls are having so much fun. Tell your mom and Becky hi for me and give Zahri my love. We can't wait to see you in May. I am going to purchase the tickets this weekend. YEAH! This time - I get to travel to meet YOUR little girl. Too fun!

By the way, I AM SHOCKED at the pile of clothes! Yeah for you. You really are a trooper, too. I know you didn't expect to be staying this long - so I am proud at how adventurous you have been. I remember our trip to New York City and how you thought I was crazy to take 5th Avenue to Central Park by myself when you had to leave. And now look at you - 1/2 way around the world and doing GREAT! Way to go, girl! I am so happy for both of you. Audrey

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'

Izaak, Elijah & Ty 'Bear'
Cousins (Izaak wants to name my daughter (his cousin) Isabella, Sant (for 'Santa') or Hershey (his friend's dog's name.) Hmmmm I told him that if we name her 'Hershey,' that would mean that we get to give her a lot of kisses.

Kolter Matthius Simon

Kolter Matthius Simon
Littlest Cousin......possibly. Kolter may indeed be the same age as his little girl cousin in Kaz. :)